Thursday, October 24, 2013

What I Did With My Summer Vacation....

I hate having to write something structured, something demanded, not by me, but by someone I have to deal with.  It doesn't matter what that structured page is.  I equally abhor the resume and the press release, the thesis and the creative writing assignment.  I particularly hated the first thing a lot of English teachers did, year after year, expecting great writing from a bunch of grade school kids forced to tell about a summer in which a lot of fun was had - but nothing that should be related to an adult.....

I am much more comfortable on those days when I can sit down, do a little stretch to get comfortable, and open a blank screen.  A deep breath or two, and a character steps forward.  I listen for a short time as they tell me their story, showing me pieces in my mind's eye - and then I begin.

Not so with the press release I'm currently trying to find the words for.

It's been a couple of years since the last press release.  It's not something I write on a regular basis, so I always have to do some reading before I begin.  What is the current trend for the information needed?  Does one include social media mentions on where fans can locate "the merchandise" (in this case, the author as the "product")? 

I have a list.  I have some ideas on how to present the information.  I go over the list again.  I sit down, I stretch, I open the blank page......and NOTHING.  Not a single word comes to me.

"Just the facts, ma'am." says a voice from the old show, Dragnet, in the back of my head.

I write the facts.  It's a couple of paragraphs.  It's as dry as a piece of cold toast.  The only ones who will be inspired by this are probably accountants, staring at numbers all day in a back room with no human contact all day....

"Sell it, girl!" I mutter to myself, and the only other thing that comes to mind is the old Snake Oil Salesman:  "Step right up!  Get your chance to buy this miracle elixir for all that ails ya!"

I am is SO much trouble right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!