Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Perhaps I should go back to a typewriter - or a pad and a pencil - or maybe a rock and chisel....

For many years, I've blamed a lot on the moon phases. It's hard not to believe that the full moon makes people a little "loonie" when one works in retail, because all of the craziest phone calls of each month happen when the moon is full...

and the current full moon seems to be bothering my home computers.....

Last week, in preparation for the "season", I downloaded all the forms and instructions for doing my taxes, as the last paperwork (which I had been warned was incorrect in the first mailing) arrived and I want to get it over with. (I learned long ago that having someone who is busily trying to do taxes on a LOT of people doesn't always have your best interests at mind, and when we ended up owing the IRS to the point that they kept three years of refunds to pay them back for one "professional's" mistake? Yeah. I do my own now.) I tried to print it off, but there seemed to be an issue in connecting the Wifi printer to the computer, so after several attempts, I took the advice from the printer program that told me to recover some information from a couple of files that had been lost....

and it reset the upstairs computer to it's original factory settings. Luckily, I had just done my monthly backup on February first....

and discovered that, although I've been faithfully saving the backup to a single USB drive, it didn't overwrite anything that it backed up the very first time I did the backup, it's just been saving anything new that was added.

Because the factory settings don't include ANY of the programs I've added, such as the newest anti-virus, the printer, the newest internet modem, etc.....

suffice to say that I've had a long week reinstalling everything I've been using the upstairs desktop for. And then, yesterday, when I tried to update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 (which I had been using before the "recovery"), nothing wanted to update. I've had to bite the bullet and install Windows 10 this morning.

So, while that was all happening upstairs, I came downstairs to the laptop to do a few things while waiting for the installations and such to finish. The laptop has been running like a champ with the exception of a couple of days when it didn't feel like connecting to the internet.....

until this morning, when, instead of opening the internet to my normal page, it opened something totally unexpected in the form of a brand-new looking Internet Explorer page. (I kept having issues with Google Chrome, so I uninstalled it for a few days to see if there was just a minor glitch in Chrome.) Since I'm normally looking at Google search, I was a little thrown by the regular Microsoft page. Then, when I was able to load Google, I was unable to get the page to load because of "script errors" - and it was locked on my daughter's sign in page, even though she only used my laptop a couple of times and the last time was over two years ago.

Between the upstairs desktop and the downstairs laptop, I'm starting to feel like an IT Tech with a serious static electricity issue, as I haven't managed to touch either computer for the past 5 hours without having something go totally bonkers.....even though, between the two computers, there is a weather station that tells me that my heat and humidity ratio is exactly right for the machines to be able to run at their max without harm.

I'm not sure whether the weather station is programmed to lie or if I can seriously blame this latest computer glitch on the moon. It may just be that I've started editing the historical romance that I started in a notebook while pregnant with my daughter and, since it was begun well before there was such a thing as an internet and no real "home computer" short of a word processor, it wants to be finished in another medium....

But I suspect that's not it. "Fireblossom and the Dream Weaver" was quite content to be put into the computer between other novels to the point that I'm only about half-way through the rough draft in the notebooks and, with all the history I was trying to include, it's grown to over 400 pages already.

Maybe it's that I intend on doing what Stephen King calls "killing my darlings" that everything is suddenly not working well for me? Maybe Max, Amy, and the natives outside of Portsmouth, New Hampshire WANT a 1000 page plus book for me to have to try to market when it's done?

Let's see once this full moon has started waning.

Perhaps it's just the moon phase.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!