Saturday, December 14, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

From the Google Public Alert Page this evening:

"The first significant snowstorm of the season will arrive tonight and continue Sunday morning."

TECHNICALLY, the weather men in my area will remind you, it's not OFFICIALLY WINTER until December 21st.  It's only the 14th, so it's still AUTUMN!  But we're still having a prediction of 12 - 15 inches of the fluffy white stuff.....

And I find this amusing.....

Why, you might ask?

This is Maine.  As a child living here, our Halloween costumes had to be able to be worn over warm clothing.  Shoes were frequently snow boots.  Hats and mittens came off long enough to knock, speak and collect the goods, then were put back on for the "stroll" to the next house.  (I grew up in a town with about 15 to 20 houses grouped together in the small section where I lived, next to the general store.  A couple of the houses were a bit of a hike from the store, so we walked roughly a mile.)

Maine used to be "nine months of winter and three months of hard sledding" per my elders.  (Of course, they say it so that "winter" becomes "wintah", "hard" becomes "hahd", and sledding loses the "g".)  Considering that we've had only a couple of really light snow storms since Halloween - and remembering how many years we were trick or treating in warm clothes and snow boots - I suspect we're actually due this "first significant storm". 

Some will hunker down and stay cozy.  I'll be at work. 

I grew up here.  I've always managed to get safely from Point A to Point B no matter what the weather, and worry more about the inexperienced drivers out there who didn't grow up in a small town where, even in the "center of town", as we were, one could be literally snowed in a couple of times each winter.  When you grow up driving on crappy roads, you can handle these nice, well kept roads in the area where I now live.  Unfortunately, there are those times each winter when I'm driving along, minding my own business - and see another car coming at me sideways.......

So far, no accidents (knocking on the wooden top of my desk), and that is the only concern about tomorrow.  Otherwise, this storm will give us some beautiful white, fresh snow to make all the Christmas lights stand out nicely against the crisp, clean background.  It means it's almost Christmas.  I have to finish everything and get my gifts sent.  I don't want to repeat the one time that I spent Christmas in the south of the country.....

Nothing against all y'all south of the Mason - Dixon line, but I need snow at Christmas to get me in the right mood.  I couldn't get into the Christmas spirit.  My presents, what few ever got finished, were late.  I just couldn't get myself into the idea that October was passing without having to rake up a single fallen leaf.  There was no dramatic color change followed by all the trees shaking off their leaves like a dog shaking off water droplets.  There was no chill in the air and no need to change out of my skirts and short sleeved shirts.  My Halloween costume could be as skimpy and sexy as I wanted it to be.  Our turkey dinner took place on a breezy screened porch because it was too hot inside the house from the cooking to eat in there.  I discovered that I couldn't make our traditional dipped chocolates because they kept melting, and the lack of snow on Christmas Eve made me feel bereft.....

So, if you're in the Northeast, please be careful driving tomorrow, especially if you aren't used to it.  If at all possible, stay in, stay cozy, and enjoy a nice, family Sunday with your loved ones.  If you, like me, must work, be safe.

I want to see you for the New Year celebration.  I have a special hat and everything......

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!