Saturday, April 19, 2014

"Any sane man claiming to be a Dow is an imposter"

The quote that makes up my title for today is something that was said by Major Joseph Dow of the United States to President James Monroe in 1818.  I came across it in a lovely book that could easily hurt you, should you drop it while moving it:  "The Book of Dow" by Robert Piercy Dow.  It's a great way to start a journey into the Dow Family Tree - just as long as you keep in mind that you should really check the facts through other sources.

I started my family research with this book in September of 1980, after losing my dad to cancer.  I wanted to discover why my uncle was saying that it was incorrect when it put James Parker Dow with Alexander Dow "by conjecture".....

and I'm still trying to find out who James REALLY belonged to, as I have proven that James was not related to Alexander even though they were in the same town when James married Susan Lovina Belden.

In the meantime, as noted in a couple of earlier blog posts, I've traced lots of the other lines, but I haven't been sharing the information anywhere but on Ancestry.com.  Several relatives have been encouraging me to start a web site so that they can see what I've been finding.....

In my own little form of Dow insanity, I've added more storage space to my web site, The Northern Bard ( http://galadriel_emmons.tripod.com/ ) and started programming the pages.  The idea was that, when you click on a person's name when they are shown as the child of a couple, you are taken to that person's marriage and children.  If you click on that same person's name from their own page, you get brought to the page for their parents.  In this way, you can follow the branches of the family tree back several generations, or you can investigate the lines of siblings, or wander - probably for days or weeks, when it comes down to that - throughout the whole tree until you visit all of the 1800+ people I have listed on Ancestry.com at this point in time.

In the meantime, each time I go into Ancestry.com to collect the info I need to make the next page, the little wiggling leaves that lead me to the necessary records to prove or disprove the information I have are tempting me to continue the research.....and, at the moment, I'm trying my best to ignore them.  Once I have all the people who are already in my tree to my web site, I'll look at some of those other wiggling leaves and add any new info to the pages I'm currently creating.

In short, this little bow to those who have been asking me to share my information may turn into something that will keep me programming pages until I go into the great beyond to meet all the people I've been writing about - and I'll have to make sure to give one of my descendants all the necessary tools to continue what appears to be an ongoing project.

If you happen to be related to the Dow family from Corinna, Maine, please feel free to visit the pages that begin with a quick intro at The Dow Family Tree page ( http://galadriel_emmons.tripod.com/dow.family.tree.html ) and drop me a line if you have any corrections or stories that you would like me to add.  If you're just curious, there are a lot of other last names that are going to be included over the multitudes of generations I've traced, so you, too, may find a common relative in the ancient lines.

A little warning before you go, however:  There are a couple of lines I've discovered that make the jokes about rednecks and trees not branching very real.  Please keep in mind that, in the early days of settling America, there weren't a lot of people to chose from when getting married, so sometimes second and third cousins were marrying.

And we here in the United States claim not to understand how we all got so stupid......

*shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!