Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Cover For My Baby

Those who have been following along know that I've been working with a model in California for a cover for my new work in progress, "A Wild Tiger's Heart".  I really can't come up with enough words to state how truly grateful I am that, when I asked my Facebook peeps for a suggestion for a model, the Universe walloped me with Daniel Sobieray, as he has been a remarkable person to work with.

Not only did he graciously give me permission to use his image for Stefan Savoldi, but he also suggested a lovely lady to be able to approach to use images of for Kelly Starbird.

When we got into a discussion about a cover and the possibility of having him and his suggested model friend on said cover, he made all the arrangements at his end of the world.

When the woman he suggested didn't make it to the shoot, he scrambled and got a substitute, then sent 509 photos for me to chose from and "introduced" me to the photographer, David Warner, so that I have a way to communicate directly with the person who will be putting in the background and doing any needed edits before I send the final image to my publisher, Northern Bard Publications. 

Talk about your hard choices!  If I had my way, I'd have 509 different covers because they were all so good!

So, being brutal, I first went through and cut back the group to 57 that I felt most suggested the characters and the way they interact.  Then, with those 57 in another file, I went through again, cutting out more and getting down to a final 6, which were then introduced to the Facebook community for an opinion.  This is the final choice for the raw image, which indicates Stefan Savoldi's fascination with Kelly Starbird and her lack of interest in him when they first meet.....with model Patrice Garza as Kelly and the marvelous Daniel Sobieray as Stefan.


I'm still in shock about how fast all of this has happened, as I just approached Daniel less than a month ago, and now I have a raw photo that the photographer can put in background and "clean up" for the cover.

Now I'd better get off my duff and finish the story....

And my most heartfelt gratitude, once again, to Daniel Sobieray for EVERYTHING, to Patrice Garza for gamely coming in on a moment's notice and getting right into character for some of the most marvelous photos I've had the pleasure to see, and to David Warner for including some "fun" photos for me to be able to see that they seemingly had fun doing this.....like this photo, that makes me wonder if they had an impromptu round of doing the hokey pokey in the middle of the shoot....


For those who still haven't caught on from prior blog posts, I was born well before the internet, before computers were more than science fiction, and when I was in high school, computers took up space the size of my house and could only be programmed with punch cards.  I remember sitting with the guys from "Section 8", a special handicapped area of the dorm I was in, watching them learn how to program Linux into the computers that they were being trained to use.  I remember the old Tandy HX1000 that my husband got me on a trade that only had 256 mb of memory, my very first computer that was mostly good for playing a couple of computer games that one needed a floppy disc to play.

Who would have ever thought in my youth that, at the "ancient" age of 53, I would be marveling over the fact that, through the magic of technology, I was able to "speak" to someone in California on June 9th, arrange all of this without a single snail mail going between us, and will soon have a book out there to join my other two?

We live in a world of magic, and our children don't even realize it yet!

Added on 7/7/14:  The introduction on my the page that holds my poems and openings to all my other works:  http://galadriel_emmons.tripod.com/awildtigersheart.html

Update 7/31/14:  David Wagner sent the final picture that will be the centerpiece of the book - and I'm stunned with how beautiful it is as well as the fact that , when printed off and set about 6 feet back, which is supposed to simulate a customer seeing it in a bookstore window, it really pops and almost takes on a 3D effect.  I'm so very happy that I trusted my instincts and let Daniel, Patrice and David do this cover.  Now I'm psyched to go finish the rough draft and add some extras in the first edit to make the story worthy of the cover.  Here is the final 300 dpi cover shot:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!