Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Reflecting on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in light of a tragedy

Having a sad couple of days here, but not because of anything that happened to me and mine, per se.  Instead, I'm reading articles about this accident, which took the life of someone I had become friends with during an 8 year stint of working with his wife - and I won't pass on the version that has photos of Brian in action and that shares something his wife SHOULD have the common sense NOT to post......

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/local-news/114669-accident-071414

The #1 reason why this hits a sore spot is because of a pact my husband and I have had for years now.  His mother passed away in 1989 after battling Multiple Sclerosis for many years, and he had to watch her life slowly go downhill before pneumonia took her from a life that she no longer wanted to live.  My father died of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma after an 18 month battle in 1980, and he had gone to the point that he didn't even recognize family when his blessed release came.

Bill and I have both said that, if there was a diagnosis of one of these "slow death" diseases for us, we would go out and go after that Bucket List with gusto, hoping for just such an accident (and overturned kayak in the ocean, or a slip from one of the many trails we've hiked) to take us out before the real suffering starts.  Brian and I had joked about that and the fact that both Bill and I want our ashes scattered over the mountains we love.....

It's very sobering to see that he really did have an accident and will be scattered at his favorite mountains.

I'm reassessing my life as we speak and how to go about filling some of those "Bucket List" items, as this has shown me yet again that tomorrow is never promised.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!