Saturday, September 20, 2014

Crossing my "i's" and Dotting my "t's" - or something like that

As I'm in the process of editing scenes involving the characters from the first two novels as well as the ones I see every day in the "rushes" for the cover art, I find myself going back to the fan pages for the first two books.  That meant a slightly uncomfortable time when I realized something:

When I first found models to represent the characters, I was new to Facebook and simply posted the photos of those I thought looked like my characters, attached the links to where I had found those photos, and then sat back and hoped that the models wouldn't be offended. That was with the first book of the Tiger Series, "Night of the Tiger".

It was the basic means of being able to use photographs on one's web site without having to gain special permission, as one doesn't claim ownership to the photographs when attaching the site where the photograph was found. It allows for use of copyrighted material under the laws of the copyright here in the United States, as it's considered fair as long as that link exists to where the photo was found.

I changed my M.O. slightly when, quite by accident, one of the models I had suggested for Chase Benton found his photos on "The Tiger's Cub" fan page - and liked the page. I approached Dylan Griner via a Facebook message and discovered he appreciated the exposure. He was such a gracious young man, I approached the girl I was thinking of using for Aloriah Starbird and got her permission to use BEFORE I posted her photos. She even pulled in a favor from a photographer who wanted practice at shooting models instead of just locations and nice scenery and provided me with photos of her in character.....

So that was the M.O. I followed with book three, "A Wild Tiger's Heart". When presented with a handsome model in response to a public request on Facebook for an Italian looking man to portray Stefan Savoldi, I approached him as I had Dylan - and got a lot more than "permission to use".  I got a female model who also was willing to represent Kelly Starbird. I got a cover shoot to beat all cover shoots. As I've stated before, I am most grateful for Daniel Sobieray and his involvement in getting me hooked up with models and a photographer from Los Angeles who've made the experience of writing my first book so much more of a blast....

But as I was drifting off to sleep a couple of days ago, I had a little bit of a guilty conscience. I have never technically "approached" Theodoros Theodoridis about using his photographs as Kyle Benton.  True, I joined a Facebook group that encouraged sending letters to him while he was in a Greek prison for cocaine trafficking, but I never really got a response back.  And as for Jarah Mariano, the lovely Polynesian looking model whom I think looks the most like the Teresanna Montesallo in my head, I hadn't even approached her in that small of a manner.

I tried to remedy that earlier this week, separately messaging Theo, who was released earlier this year and has started modeling again in Greece, as well as Jarah.  Jarah still hasn't responded, and Theo responded with this picture:


In some of the messages he gave the group that I belonged to on Facebook as well as some of the videos he's posted on You Tube, I'm hoping this is the sexy Greek model's somewhat silly way of giving me permission to use his photos.  Not a bad average, if so, as that's 5 out of 6 approached models giving me permission to tie their images to my characters - naturally giving my fans other photos that I haven't used to look at as well when the links lead to photo shoots, Facebook pages, agencies that represent the models, etc.

So, my lesson for today for those following along with how to get your book noticed:  Make a fan page on a site like Facebook.  Find models who you think look like your characters. Don't be too shy to write to ask them for permission to use their photographs to represent your character, especially with the offer to direct people to the web sites that are going to get them noticed and will, hopefully, get someone else to think of them for the next modeling job they have that might need someone who looks like that model. You may find yourself with new connections that will make book covers much easier in your future.

Or you may just get a long distance Snoopy kiss from a nice looking model from another country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!