Thursday, June 18, 2015

One foot in the past and one foot in the present

My current work in progress is one of those "long term" pieces.

It started out in 1989 in a series of notebooks - 5 little 5x7 notebooks, to be exact - written during my breaks and lunches while working at a little place called Yield House in North Conway, New Hampshire. It was the first time a story flowed solidly from end to end instead of popping in as bits and pieces, and my sister-in-law was reading each day's progress while I cooked supper, as she was staying with us for a brief time.

Then I set it aside, wanting to research the time frame to make sure I made no obvious gaffs...

And now all of that research is going into the rewrite....Heaven help us all.....

The story is, in the same format as the prior books published by Northern Bard Publications, already 686 pages....and a LONG way from being finished. The native American side of the story explains so much about the world that the young lass lives in, and presents a real problem for the knight who has been granted land in the New World. As I continue to edit, getting myself caught up to where the story went before the characters started arguing about what happens next about a year ago (when I was typing it onto the computer and adding in the research about the natives), the characters are impatiently waiting for me to get back to where I left them.

For those of my era, there was an old Carol Burnett bit about a playwright (view here, for those who need it: https://youtu.be/KOVOv5WrZWs), and strangely, that's what I think of when I think of Max and Amy, waiting for me to finish the edit and continue with their story. Sir Maxwell, dark haired and dark eyed, in his native American clothing, keeps glaring from me to Amy, with red hair and pale green eyes...and she glares right back....

Some days, I seriously wonder if that skit was true.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!