Friday, August 28, 2015

Strangest Question Ever From A Smart 7-Year-Old

I spent my day off yesterday on an adventure with the two youngest grandkids. The eldest of the duo is 7 ('turning 8 in October" he reminds you) and the little one just hit 3.

We talk while Yama drives. (Don't ask me why it's Yama short of there were too many Nanas and Grammys and such in their lives, as they both are with my son, but two of the three grandkids don't actually share our blood.....just the littlest injun. Love them all the same, however....) They tell me about their favorite things right now, and stories from the days we weren't together over the summer, then I ask the eldest a question, as he knows all about zombies, and video games, and other such little boy things....

"Hey, did your parents ever take you to see Stephen King's gargoyle fence?"

(It was one of my boy's favorite things, as his Nana lived just around the corner, in an apartment on Hammond Street, and one had to walk past to go to the nearest playground. This young man's parents, currently including my son, have gone to Bangor to visit my mom many times, and even though she now lives across the river in Brewer, I would have thought it a place they would have seen by now....)

My grandson responds with a question.

"What's a gargoyle?"

A lirrle voice deep inside says "Sacrilege! They know about zombies, but not gargoyles?"

That part of my brain that stores all I've learned starts pushing images forward, and folklore, and all the facts I could fill that little mind with about gargoyles...but we are talking Short Attention Span Theater version if I'm to keep his interest, as he's already sounding like he's losing interest...

"They're ugly figures meant to scare away evil spirits, and they used to be put on the edges of roofs."

"What are spirits?"

The inner voice is back, indignant.

"Good heavens! My kids were telling ME about gargoyles by 7 and how they chased bad spirits away!"

"Kind of like a ghost, but bad, like a zombie."

(He has friendly ghosts that help him in one game, he's just told me.)

 "Oh. Okay."

Then he's off on another round of talking about the latest video game that he and a friend have
been playing.

And his Yama is left a little perplexed.....until I mention the gargoyles again when he asks what our plans are along with the age old question: "Are we there yet?".....and he has already forgotten about the fence with the gargoyles on it. He isn't concerned with such things. He's too busy being a little boy who likes video games and playgrounds who wasn't exposed to the children's cartoon about gargoyles protecting New York.....

Yup! Definitely the day to add a little walk around the block to the playground visit I promised him and his little sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!