Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Why I don't get frustrated by delays any more.....

I used to be your typical "hot head". It was hard NOT to be hot tempered, with a French mother who could curse at you in TWO languages when she was REALLY mad and a dad who just had this look that you didn't dare test.......

When I'm alone, I still can curse like a sailor, but I'm starting to see a pattern in things in my life, and this pattern has made me sit back and ponder.

I've had those days when I've been caught behind a school bus or a slow driver for miles when I was already late leaving the house, on my way to something important. Yes, I've muttered and sputtered and said things like "Come ON! I'm trying to SPEED!"

Those are the days that I drive past an accident before I reach my destination. When the news story about an accident come out, the timing of my departure from my house to the site of the accident would have put me solidly at the wrong place at the wrong time: at Ground Zero when the proverbial manure hit the fan......

It happened again tonight. I see the pattern clearly.

My hubby plays in a pool league. Billiards. 8-ball, to be exact. Since he likes to have a drink with the team, I drop him off and pick him up, giving him a sober ride to depend on. It's how I roll.

The plan was to stop at a fast food place, eat, drop him off, and then go home. We got to the counter with just two people in front of us, but the elderly guy seemed to be having trouble understanding the concept of "sides" and took a really long time ordering. The lady behind him wasn't much faster. We took our order to go, as there was no real time to sit and eat. Hubby would eat while I drove and I would eat when I got home.

But he forgot that he needed to stop for cash for dues....

So I ran the extra errand, thinking I was hearing sirens, but nothing was coming past me....yet.....

After dropping off the money to the hubby and finally starting home, I was having a very odd feeling about those sirens. There had been A LOT of them. Not too far into my drive home, another siren could be heard, and this one was coming closer. A fire truck turned off a side road and turned in the direction I was going. It was a truck from another town.

FIRE was my first thought. It's a very cold winter. People are doing foolish things to keep warm.

Then red lights flashing in the distance in my rear view mirror. I watched, pulled over, and watched an ambulance rush past. I had just started to move again when I saw their brake lights come on. A little further around the curve, and the truth was there in front of me.

Fire trucks, police cars and at least one ambulance already at the scene as the ambulance that just went past me joined them. As I went down the convenient side road that has a full view of the straightaway where the accident appears to have happened, the number of fire trucks and police cars astounded me. The detour, with a hay field between the road taken and the usual pass, allowed a full view, but all that could be glimpsed were vehicles and humans.

A snowmobile trail crosses the road near the site of the accident. My heart sank at the thought that perhaps a snowmobile was trying to cross and got hit......

And then the timing struck me. If not for the other people at the fast food restaurant, I may have been going through that space at the wrong time......

Two more ambulances heading toward the accident from the town I live in brought a vision of being pulled out of my car had it not been for that delay......

I was raised in the Christian world. They talked a lot about God, the invisible being who watches over you and answers payers. I've sometimes had prayers answered, but not until I stopped going to a stuffy building every week, feeling the eyes of the scornful better-than-yous judging every movement. I also stopped calling the Divine One "God", because although I've studied many religions and am no longer sure what name to give that being.

I call it The Universe. It seems to be liking me lately, and the more I just relax and let The Universe move as it will, without me fighting it, the more it seems to like me.

I'll post an update when I find out what happened this time. I stayed up for the news, but they don't seem to have been informed yet.  Maybe tomorrow.....or is that today, since I'm up past midnight???

Goodnight, and may you be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is to COMMENT ON THE BLOG, not TO SELL YOUR STUFF!

If you insist on commenting that "you need this", be prepared to have your comment deleted PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE ANJU SHUKLA!!